Saturday 20 October 2007

A favourite parody and a laughable reply

Ever since I first heard Mothership Connection after the brilliant Joe S. Harrington placed it as the sixth best album of all time, because of what I was reading from Sandra Bloodworth, Tess Lee Ack and other "fighters", I have parodied the opening song "P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" as "make our war the class war/we want no capitalism/make our war the class war/we want the system smashed".

My brother's initial response was to rename "Parliament" as "Worker's Council". I did not mind this, and we still have a few laughs about that one when I play "P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)".

However, today, when I sang that line again, he said he would call the band "Politburo"! If you read Sandra Bloodworth et al, you will see the absurdity of a band being called "Politburo". Student radicals, even if I now know they are far too selfish to be able to make desperately overdue changes to society - like ending road building, cutting road capacity and destroying wasteful freeways - would never support any Politburo. Nor would they have back in the days of Mothership Connection, I hope.

No comments: